[Updated Oct 2013]
I like to refer to useful sql scripts I find out there during my SQL training classes. I only succeed because I stand on the shoulders of giants. 🙂
The folks that give their time and brainpower to share useful tools on the internet deserve our thanks.
So thank you.
These scripts help you solve problems on your SQL Server while also helping you understand SQL Server better. They should be in every DBAs toolbelt.
Here’s a list, as I build it, in no particular order.
- Any list of useful SQL scripts must start with Ola Hallengren’s fantastic maintenance scripts. Handles backups, index maintenance, and more.
- Jeremy Carter’s Missing Index DMV script, with intelligent naming convention, not obscure numbers.
- Taking over a SQL Server and want to see what you’re dealing with? Brent Ozar’s SQL Blitz procedure.
- [new] Also from Brent Ozar’s team is the amazing sp_BlitzIndex, an incredibly useful tool for understanding your indexes and how you can improve them.
- Glenn Berry’s Diagnostic Information Queries, get an amazing amount of clear useful data from your DMVs.
- The amazing sp_who replacement sp_whoisactive (Adam Machanic)
- Michael Swart’s Top 20 Resource Hog Queries
- [new] Script full-text catalogs and indexes