Presented online Sept 28, 2016 to the PASS DBA VIRTUAL CHAPTER
Scripts and notes available in this dropbox folder.
We will present Part 2 on March 8, Noon Eastern
Here’s the abstract for part 2:
In part 1, we explored the basics of PowerShell, and just scratched the surface of applying PowerShell to DBA tasks. In this second session we’ll use PowerShell to explore the SQL Management Objects (SMO) and walk through example scripts to work with SQL Server to perform common SQL functions. We will also explore freely available PowerShell modules & scripts from both Microsoft and the SQL community that leverage SMO into powerful tools to make the DBA’s life easier.
Resources for PowerShell Basics
- MVA PowerShell 3 Jumpstart
- PowerShell in a Month of Lunches
- Jeff Hicks Essential PowerShell Resources
- PowerShell ISE Addons
Resources for PowerShell and SQL
- PowerShell Virtual Chapter of PASS
- (NEW July 2016) – SQL Management Studio 2016 includes the new SQLServer PowerShell Module
- DBATOOLS – A Community built PowerShell Module for SQL built around best practices.
- SQL Server 2014 with PowerShell v5 Cookbook
View free sample, or use 50% off code: SFCODECAMP50
- Presentation on gathering SQL Performance Data
- Powershell and Google Chart API
- 20 free scripts from Idera
- Scripting Guy tips for the SQL PowerShell Scripter
- SQL PowerDoc – Document your SQL Servers quickly and thoroughly!